I know that I shouldn't quip, but it is all a little overwhelming when you
are a newbie!

----- Original Message -----
From: "Altoine Barker" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Sent: Friday, February 02, 2001 8:29 PM
Subject: Re: [newbie] Are all RPMS created equal?

> [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
> >
> > I remember reading somewhere that it is better to compile source code
than
> > use downloaded RPM's because the Red Hat file system hierarchy is
different
> > than the one used in LM, just as other distributions have different file
> > systems.  Is that also the experience of everyone on this list?  Or is
there
> > an easy way to get around this problem?  Or should you only use the
cooker
> > RPM's coming from LM?
> >

> That is the way that things are. RH7 uses rpm4 while LM7.2 and below use
rpm3.0.5 or less. If you have a Pentium-class computer of 233MHz or more,
you shouldn't quip about compiling from source. Besides doing that,
optimizes the code for your particular system! That is like dinning out or
cooking in for the evening. I don't know about you, but I haven't found a
restaurant that can match my tastes and nuances, yet.