make sure you have boot disk for your current linux system, this way if
anything goes wrong you can use a boot floppy and run fdisk /mbr and still
get to windows (maybe you knew that :-) ), then boot from the 7.2 cdrom or if
your notebook doesn't do that then make a linux boot floppy from the
cdrom.img file in /images directory on the 7.2 cd and use this to boot,
the only problem i can see here is if your notebook has external floppy, i
have no experience with such and i do not know how such things boot,

then all you have to do is to choose 'upgrade' from the mandrake
installation, i would recomend choosing the 'customised' installation option
so that you can make  sure that diskdrake hasn't 'nullified' your windows
partitions!

caveat: some folk had probs with upgrade and had to do a new installation,
same applies here except you must do a customised or expert installtion and
avoid any 'auto' arranging of your disk space else you will nuke bill's stuff,
warning - on my machine i get a little bug whereby if i use diskdrake during
installation to assign mount points etc. i have to format any partitions at
the diskdrake screen, the system would hang at the next step where it asks
what partitions to format so i would choose none as i had already done that
and i had no prob.; no need to format /home in any event of course

to sum up: don't let anything 'auto' partition/format whatever; have 2 boot
disks (1linux + 1windows boot, don't format /home (unless you have nothing to
keep and haven't configured many programs for users)

any help?

bascule

On Tuesday 06 February 2001  1:01 am, Michael Berey wrote:

> > Can someone please advise as to the procedure to upgrade the Mandrake
installation on a dual boot laptop. I understand that Linux cannot be
upgraded from within the program. I'd like to retain the dual boot and not
impact Win 98.