I'm another LM newbie, new to the list.

  I am not real clear on how to get my HP OfficeJet 700 drivers loaded and usable, and
don't know how to find out if they are active.  I've checked various sources, and
being a Windows-weaned Linux newbie, I am having trouble deciphering what I need to
do.  The HPOJ 700 is an all-in-one machine:  color printer/copier/scanner/fax.
  I have downloaded the HPOJ tar package, and gone through the installation process as
directed.  I manually use insmod to install each component, and there are no error
messages.  I know there is a way to start these modules up on bootup, but I'm
apparently needing to get more detailed step-by-step instruction.  I'm confused.  If
this requires command insertion into a script, please include the syntax I need to
use.
  I am using Linux Mandrake 7.0, as installed from the 3-CD set - kernel 2.2.14.  I am
dual-booting with Win98, defaulting to LM with the GUI logon screen, and the KDE
desktop.
  I have also previously installed SANE from the rpm using rpmDrake.  I don't really
understand how to make SANE work, either.  (I guess Windows has scrambled my brain
cells.)  I was hoping to eventually get my Intel PC Camera running as a motion
detection security cam.  But, first things first.  Do I need to have SANE up and
running in order to use my HPOJ drivers?
  If somebody can kick-start me, I'd really appreciate it.

TIA....
        -DM

  FWIW, I am fairly fluent in DOS and WinDUHs, and am not at all squeamish when it
comes to the command line.  I've installed/reinstalled LM 7.0 a few times, different
ways, have gotten to where I can install packages without too much trouble, and have
Linux installed on hda3, with /opt and /home on hdb1 & 2.