On Sunday 11 February 2001 09:11 am, you wrote:
> Terence Golightly wrote:
> > Terence Golightly wrote:
> > > Hello,
> > >
> > > I have been unsuccessfully trying to upgrade to 7.2 from 7.1.  I have
> > > read a few posts regarding upgrading and am forewarned about some of
> > > the issues involved here.  However, my problem is during the
> > > installation the install program hangs in the middle of installing
> > > apps.
> > >
> > > I am installing from an ISO I burned myself using kisocd.  Would a bad
> > > ISO download cause this?  I tried using md5sum, is there supposed to be
> > > output from this program? If so how do I tell if I have a good/bad ISO?
> > >
> > > Thanks,
> > >
> > > Terry
> > > 'Screwing up installs yesterday and today'
> > > [EMAIL PROTECTED]
> >
> > Ooops,
> >
> > Sorry about that post.  I managed to verify the ISO using md5sum myself
> > w/o incident.  However, I still am only guessing at why the installation
> > locks up while installing rpms.  I hesitate to try the upgrade again only
> > to have it lock up again and be forced to reinstall 7.1  Perhaps I am not
> > so "forewarned" as I need to be concerning upgrading.  Again sorry about
> > posting on an issue that I did just as easily discover on my own.
> >
> > terry
>
> Terry,
>
> If I'm understanding you correctly you really shouldn't be trying to do
> an "upgrade" from 7.1 to 7.2. Too much has changed between the two
> versions and even if you did manage to get the install done you'd likely
> have a big mess to contend with. It's better that you do a fresh
> install.
I agree, do a fresh install using  the custom or expert mode and diskdrake to
clear your partitions except leave the /home partition alone. don't clear it
and don't format it. Just recreate the other partitions and then let the
install reformat them, it should ask if you want to format these partitions
with the star next to each one highlited in yellow, the /home partition star
should be dim. click ok and when all is said and done your personal settings
and email etc should all still be there.  Good Luck,
--
Dennis Myers registered linux user #180842