Dave, I concur with Romna,...download the updates seperately from multiple
sites if necessary. Then install them in a logical sequence. Here's a tip
that saved me a few times - When installing the KDE updates, make sure that
you're running Gnome, and not KDE. In Drakconf, disable as many services as
possible,...keep only those absolutely required to run your PC , then do a
full reboot to unload the disabled services and daemons, and then do your
updates. Try using Kpackage instead of the "software-updater", and be
prepared to jump on the net to grab associated libraries from www.rpmfind.net

One other thing,...if you have a CD burner, burn all the updates to CD, in
case you need to re-install everything later. I've been doing this for a
month or so, and it's really paid off having the updates on hand.

Good Luck!

Dan LaBine
Maximum LAN's Ltd.
Registered Linux User #190712