>I'm a bit stuck with the tar commands. I would like to tar the
entire
>path: /usr/share/apps
>
>Can some one help?

This will create a compressed archive with relative path which is
restricted to apps/files

$ cd /usr/share
$ tar czf apps.tgz apps/

This will create a compressed archive but have longer path data

$ cd /any/place/you_have_a_big_enough_filesystem
$ tar czf apps.tgz /usr/share/apps/

The c means create, x is extract. The z means filter with gzip. The
f, which must be last to work in some versions, means put it in this
file name I specify first on the command line. You can also use cvzf
for a verbose or cvvzf for very verbose if you want to see whats
happening.

MB