Thanks to Matt Micene for pointing me in the right direction in his post
labeled "Re: [expert] Staggering Closer ??!!??".

I was stumped by the fact eth0 wouldn't configure on boot but would by hand.
Matt's post pointed me to look at /etc/modules.conf.

In it were the two lines
        alias eth0 rtl8139
        options irq=10

I got rid of the second line, "options=10", and rebooted.  No error this
time.

It still stymies me as to why it broke on boot but not by hand.  Both the
BIOS and Linux showed the NIC at irq=10.  Anyone out there have any ideas?

But at least now it comes up with the network.

Cheers,
-rick

winmail.dat