I am a newbie too, so I jump at the chance to answer a question
the proper way to shutdown would be something like:

shutdown -h now

the -h passes the halt command to the shutdown scripts and is, as I have
read, the cleanest way to shutdown your machine.

--

"The day Microsoft makes something that doesn't suck,
is probably the day Microsoft starts making vacuum cleaners."