ok well thats good news.  That means I probably did somehting wrong.
Cool.  Its fixable!

I've had my geforce card for a few months now and had it working great.
In fact with the 0.9.5 nvidia drivers I get better performance then in
windows by about 25%!!  I re-installed to change to reiser and I must
have botched something during ort after the re-install cause what worked
before doesn't now.

Hey, if you are using the 0.9.6 nvidia driver you should try installing
from tar.gz because there is a little change you can make in one of the
build files that will result in much better performance.  Without the
change that driver seems locked around 90fps but with the change it
approaches the performance of 0.9.5 and is a lot more stable.

read M64_USERS_README in NVIDIA_GLX-0.9-6 for the fix.

Thank you Adam.

Abe