I have the HP 9150i cd-writer...
had the same problem til I re-installed again, mandrake 7.2.

now it works fine...but there's a bug fix once you re-install
that needs fixing....it's located here:

http://www.linux-mandrake.com/en/demos/Tutorial/CDburner/

just re-install linux...but do NOT format your /home partition
and upon reboot,after reinstall...the drive will be emulated...and seen.

--
            Registered Linux User: 167369
<============= http://www.kompukit.com =============>