On Tuesday 06 March 2001 09:58:58 am, Tom Brinkman wrote:
>Now if locate or whatprovides turn up nothin, then go to,
>http://rpmfind.net/linux/RPM/    and search     libXaw.so.7
>  which returns     XFree86-libs-4.0.1-28mdk-i586.rpm  (among many others
>and other distros)

     When I clicked on the link to download libXaw.so.7 the download
manager showed that I was about to download the
XFree86-libs-4.0.1-28mdk-i586.rpm package again.  This seemed unnecessary,
since I had already downloaded it once.  Are you saying that it is possible
to download _only_ libXaw.so.7, _separately_?  I was unable to find any way
to do that, but I'll check again.

>    So  XFree86-libs-4.0.1-28mdk  needs to be installed before
>XFree86-4.0.1-28mdk.  BUT, not neccesarily, when upgrading multiple
>packages for something like XFree86 it's a good idea to d/l them all into a
>directory all by themselves and then run 'rpm -Uvh *'   This helps to
>avoid circular dependency failures.  rpm will cross check all the rpms in
>the dir, and still may return some failed deps.  So then it's back to
>rpmfind.net  to get those.  Repeat til successful ;>

     I'm not sure that I am "upgrading multiple packages."  All I am trying
to do is to install XFree86-libs-4.0.1-28mdk-i586.rpm.  That is only one
package.  Granted, it can't be installed unless it has first been
installed, but the libraries needed to install it are not available except
as part of this package.  I'm afraid that I don't understand what you mean
by "BUT, not neccesarily, when upgrading multiple packages for something
like XFree86 it's a good idea to..."

     If there were several packages and several libraries to download and
install, I could place them all in the same directory, but as it is I have
only one package.  I can place this in a directory by itself, but will it
help to do the 'rpm -Uvh *' thing when you have only one package?

>    There's other ways to find/satisfy deps, urpmf and rpm2html come to
>mind,

     I've never heard of those.  Are they alternative methods to install an
rpm package?

>but the above is how I do it. Also, when upgrading to packages newer
>than your distro version (eg, LM7.2), you'll prob'ly get into situations
>sooner or later when you might be a little leary of the provider (eg,
>cooker, contribs, etc.).  Then it's a good idea to get the src rpm version
>and rebuild it on your system to better insure compatibility.

     Perhaps that would be better.  Where do I get that?

                                                         DRX