On Friday 09 March 2001 09:46, you wrote:
> Has anyone managed to upgrade to KDE 2.1 from Mandrake 7.2? Is there a
> comprehensive explanation of how to upgrade? Thanks for any advice, Oder.

These are NOT official instructions, but they were written for people testing
the Mandrake 2.1-for-7.2 RPMs and they worked for me:

-----[ snip ]-----

Install instructions:

Download into a Directory like /home/username/tmp/KDE (you do not need static
libs and such nor the devel packages unless you want kdevelop 1.4)
get into root and cd to that directory
urpme qt2
urpme kde
urpme arts
urpme koffice
rpm -ivh *rpm
rpm --rebuilddb
update-menus -v    #hit a return after it appears to hang
exit
logout
login under kde
Voila!

Cautions and bugs:

1. it makes the appearance of emacs unbelievably ugly
2. KDevelop will keep asking for a library path even after you give it te
correct one.... Just hit cancel and it will complete installation (Kde bug of
some sort).

-----[ snip ]-----

A couple of additional caveats (again, these applied to me and may not to
you):

1. Install the apmd package before the install. You can find it in the 7.2
distribution.

2. When you install the RPMs, you may get conflicts with existing installs of
kdoc, imap, imap-devel, and qt-devel. Remove these packages using the
command, "rpm -e [packagename]" before doing the "rpm -ivh *rpm" step above.

3. This upgrade procedure should work to update any configuration including
and later than KDE 1.99.

Cheers.

M.

--