Actually, Ed, I had much the same problem. USR's technical support(including web site)
was about as helpful as sticking my face in a meat grinder. That's a gripe for another
time, however.

While he could disable PnP in his BIOS it could affect the modem's operation in
windows. I was directed to the following information by another member of this list,
as a matter of fact.

You need to tag this onto the end of one of your startup scripts:
exec setserial /dev/ttyS4 irq ? port ? ^fourport ^auto_irq skip_test autoconfig spd_vhi

You will need to replace the first question mark with the IRQ that the device is
using. You can either do this by looking for the device's information in /proc/pci or,
if you're not quite on your penguin feet yet, in the windows device manager. The port
setting(second question mark) I'd suggest you find in the /proc/pci file. (Might try
"grep -A 5 USR" if you don't feel like digging through the whole file. If your kernel
doesn't recognize the brand of the modem it may not work, though.)

Once you have that information in the startup script you'll want to(as root) go into
the /dev/ directory and do the following
rm -f modem
ln -s /dev/ttyS4 /dev/modem

Then you can use the device /dev/modem in any dialer from then on.
  Hope this works for you.

 Regards,
  - Ben