Sure, been doing that from the git-go.  It's the BIOS that assigned Com
5, IRQ 10.  Dunno why, I have Com 2 disabled; AMI BIOS usually looks
there first.    Already done as you suggest.  No commo device recognized
as such in the /proc/pci directory table.
Also found more detailed info on my particular MODEM thru MUO.  I'll
follow up on it.
Meanwhile I'm RTFM'ing.  (BG)

  Thanks to all,

  CR