Jamie M. Dyer wrote:
> I have got a problem with the lilo boot loader, It was
> working fine up untill I changed some of the settings using
> the mandrake config tools. I removed some old options that
> I did not use and changed the delay time. After I did this
> I rebooted and instead of the lilo screen I got this 'L1 01
> 01 01 01 01 01 01 01 01 01 01..... etc. etc.' this goes on
> untill you reboot.
>
>  I run a triple boot system with win2000 win98 an linux
> mandrake 7.2, win2000 and win98 are on the first partition
> of the first hard disk and linux is on the first partition
> of the second hard disk. I have managed to get back the MBR
> by copying the system files from a win98 boot disk, then
> fdisk /mbr I then had to insert the win2000 cd while in
> win98 and run setup to get the win2000 boot menu back. I
> have added linux to the win 2000 boot menu and moved lilo
> from the mbr to the second hard disk. Now when I choose
> linux on the boot menu I get the 'L1 01 01 01 01...' thing,
> does anyone know how I can get lilo to start working
> propperly, at the moment I'm having to use a boot floppy.
>
> Thank you
>
> JamieD

JamieD....you need to boot Linux with your boot floppy (made
during installation) edit (as root) the first line of your
/etc/lilo.conf file to read:

boot=/dev/hdbX

where X is the number of the partition on hdb (hdb is your
second IDE hard drive) where the Linux kernal resides.  If
you have a seperate /boot partition then X is the number of
the /boot partition, if not then X is the number of the /
partition.  Your win2000 boot menu entry must also point at
this partition.  Then save the /etc/lilo.conf file and at a
console prompt (as root) type:

/sbin/lilo -v
--
Alan