On Wednesday 14 March 2001 15:37, you wrote:
> Hello,
>
>  I just installed Mandrake Linux, and I am somewhat new to linux.
> I am having trouble with Mandrake. The desktop does not come up when
> I boot into Linux. I just get a prompt with a Dos graphic of the
> linux penguin. What did I do wrong in the install???

You didn't do anything wrong, you are in linux.
What you did not do, was to tell the system to start up in X.
sign on using the username/password that you created during the install,
then type startx

If you want to have the system automatically start up in x when you boot,
you will need to change the default runlevel.
Change the line in /etc/inittab that reads

id:3:initdefault:

id:5:initdefault:

(you will need to be root to do this)

--
Alex
Kernel Panic is General Failure's second in command