Graham,

> I've tried to use Sane under MDK 7.2 but with no luck so far.
> It tells me that no sane devices are detected.

> I have a Plustek 9630 parallel port scanner and there appears
> to be a Plustek back end. Is there anything I need to configure
> to get a result?

  Though it didn't work for me -- I have the same scanner, but it
won't work in either lm7.2 ~or~ Windows.  I'd wasted the whole of
a weekend trying to get it working.  Anyway, there is an update
for the Plustek backend.  Trouble is, it requires numerous
updates -- at least one of which is an unstable cooker update.
May or may not work for you.

  In the end, I was left with a still unworking scanner & various
minor problems I couldn't figure out.  Doubt it's related, but
eventually, my video wouldn't accept any settings above 16-bit
colour & a very bad refresh rate.  So, I'd reinstalled & got rid
of the whole mess.

  Let me know if you figure it out, though.

  Meph

--
  "I did this 'cause Linux gives me a woody."
  -Dave '-ddt->' Taylor, announcing DOOM for Linux