Hi Guys.

I have just re-installed Mandrake Linux 7.2 on my laptop.

I re-partitioned as follows:

hda1 -  144Mb - Suspend.
hda2 - 6.19Gb - Linux Extended; contains:
hda5 -   15Mb - /boot
hda6 -  128Mb - Swap
hda7 - 6.05Gb - /

Obviously, having re-installed from my original CDs, there were a
lot of updates that needed to be applied.  So, I struck up my
trusty MandrakeUpdate program, which listed about 90 rpms totalling
about 310Mb.

However, regardless of how I try to apply these upgrades, I run
into the following problem.

As soon as rpm tries to actually install the package, it starts to
grab MAJOR memory.  This grows rapidly until within a couple of
seconds it is using ALL memory as well as most of the swap,
grinding the machine to a halt.

It was pretty scary running top on another console and seeing rpm's
memory usage growing to 155Mb.  It would have climbed higher if I
hadn't killed it...

This happens regardless of the package I'm installing.  A single
150kb rpm file will do it, just as a 35Mb one will.

HELP!!!!!

Regards,
Ozz.