Barb

   Not to quarrel with the SuSE instructions but try these instead.

Log in as root and from terminal enter the following command
# cat /proc/pci

This will list all your PCI devices. On this list you should see either
Communication controller or Communication device,
That listing is your modem.

Write down the first I/O range.
In the example I am using 0xd800  replace that with yours.
Enter the following:
# setserial /dev/ttyS3 port 0xd800 spd_vhi skip_test auto_irq autoconfig

If there are no errors, then enter:
# setserial /dev/ttyS3 uart 16550A

Select /dev/ttyS3 as the device in kppp and see if your modem will now
initalize
and operate.

If it does to make this perm. you will need to edit your rc.local file which
is located in the /etc/rc.d directory. Add the 2 setserial lines to the end
of this file Save the changes and reboot your system.

   Charles  (-:

Forever never goes beyond tomorrow.