--- Paul R <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote: > How can I
upgrade my glibc libraries?  I downloaded
> some newer Mandrake
> versions in rpm form, but trying to rpm -U gets me a
> huge list of
> programs that need glibc.  So, I was wondering:
>
> 1.  How do I upgrade?  I get teh safe problem if I
> rpm -U or rpm -F the
> new one or rpm -e the old one.

upgrading the glibc packages is an annoying pain since
there are soo many dependencies that rely on this
package. To Upgrade an RPM, the -U flag is used.

However, I recommend that you try the following to
getting glib installed:

rpm -i --nodeps nameofrpmmdk.rpm

the --nodeps flag stops the rpm installer for looking
for module dependencies.

> 2.  Do I need to use an rpm at all, or can I use a
> tarball?

You can use either. RPM's are easier to use since the
programs have already been compiled, and the RPM knows
the location of them as well.

Tar balls are fun, except it will usually mean that
you have to compile the programs yourself!!

> 3.  If I use a src.rpm, how do I install it?  Never
> used one of these.

src.rpm are almost the same as tarballs. They just
contain the source files of the program so that you
can compile them yourself.

> 4.  Do I need to use the Mandrake rpm's, or can I
> safely use any glibc's?

You can use any, however if I would recommend using
rpm's, as this is what Mandrake was built upon

HTH,

Thomas Adam

=====
Thomas Adam
Linux Co-ordinator for The Purbeck School

e-mail (school): [EMAIL PROTECTED]
e-mail (yahoo) : [EMAIL PROTECTED]