Hi,
Sounds like PPP is the problem, I think you need root privileges to run
ppp so it terminates. Way around this is to set the 'Setuid' bit so anyone
who runs it , runs it with root privs.
Check these files:
/usr/bin/kppp
/usr/sbin/pppd
then as root do the following:
do a ls -l to find the permissions, you should get:
-rwsr-xr-x   1 root root
on both files, notice the 's'
if its not set to s then do a
chmod u+s [filename] to both files
make sure root is owner and group if not do:
chown root root [filename]

try this, if it doesnt cure it dont despair as there are a few more things
which might need checking  ;-)

Regards

Sard.