On Sunday 25 March 2001 12:20, you wrote:
> When I installed 7.1 I set it up to go to a graphical login. It works
> great. But, how can I change to just logging on in a console?  If I need
> to that is. As always, if there is a HOW-TO or other info out there,
> please point me to it.
>
> Barbara

OK  well the easy way is to bring up an xterm any old time and type

telinit 3

or if you want to leave the screen running, just use ctrl-alt-f2 or f3-f6 and
you will have a real console ready to log in.  ctrl-alt-F7 takes you back to
the screen and leaves the console running.

You can make an at-boot change by clicking on DrakConf=>linuxconf and
changing the runlevel.  If you come up in 3, to get to 5 you can use

startx (Windowmanager name)  or startx or init 5 or xinit (window or
xterminal name)  The last is very interesting--I booted, told lilo

linux 3   # BTW that is another way to go to console mode for a single boot

to come up in runlevel3

then did

xinit /usr/X11R6/bin/rxvt

to bring up X with no WM, just a terminal.

Then from the terminal I did

sapphire

to see the error messages as it tried to come up...  Helped immensely with
debugging.

Civileme