Hi,

I have an friend that just got 7.2 installed on his machine.  It has a
Rockwell Conexant (softk56) modem.  I have suggested that he get something
else.  His hardware config is unknown and he is not (yet  ;-)  a techie.  He
doesn't see and com ports on the machine so I'm recommending an internel.
Perhaps a USR sportster.

(Note: It shows up in harddrake with all the info about what kind of modem it
is.  Does anyone know if perhaps it *IS* support.  The install linked
/dev/ttyS2 to /dev/modem)

I always do all my configuration from the command line and turn of all that
stuff that autodetects things and never set anything up through the graphical
interface.  So it is due to my extreme ignorance of things "user friendly"
that I must ask this question.

Once the modem is plugged in, what happens.  Should the modem be set for plug
and play or be at a fixed com port.  What would he need to do to get it going.

I would do this myself but I don't have easy access to the machine.

Thanks for any enlightenment.

Oh, BTW.  He is very impressed with Mandrake, modem problems aside.  He's
migrating over from WinME.  During the install, he chose to nuke his Windows
partition so he's obviously cut off from the net right now but perservering.
:-)

-Thanks,
-Steve Bergman