I just wrote all that in another email, but it hasn't shown up on the list
yet.  It'll probably beat this one, but I'll cut and paste:
What Alan says is basically true, but if you're brave at heart, here's a
method that can enable one to upgrade to glibc 2.2 on a 7.2 install.
http://www.pclinuxonline.com/Help___How_To/Glibc-2_2/glibc-2_2.html
 I followed these instructions here except where they say do a --force
--nodeps, do a --test and get the other 2 - 4 dependencies.  I haven't had a
problem, yet (being the operative word) and have been using this set up for
about 9 or 10 days.  Oh I did upgrade my menu app tho it suggests not to.
But it was necessary to that I wouldn't get an error when I upgrade-menu
after installing kde2.1.1.  YMMV.
-s