On Sunday 08 April 2001 00:48, you wrote:
> I have upgraded my machine to an AMD 850 Duron with a 1st Mainboard AZ11E
> and 256 MB PC133 ram.  Used the same video card (3dFX Voodoo3 3000 PCI and
> the same Actiontec Modem).  I also put in a WD 7200RPM 40 gb harddrive and
> kept my WD 10.4 GB with Mandrake installed on it.
> I reinstalled windows for my boyfriend so he can play his games (tried
> using wine but they don't work yet) and then went to update Mandrake on the
> 10.4 GB hd.  It starts fine and gets to the section looking for Scsi and it
> just freezes with this message:
> Installing driver for scsi|disk card  imm
> I do not have any scsi in this machine.  My hard drives are both IDE.  My
> cd rom is an atapi drive and then there is my internal Zip100 (which
> installed before changes).  I have absolutely no idea where to start.  I
> have the HOW TO for LARGE DISKS, its a little confusing though.  I did try
> to install it also and it still froze in the same place, even with expert
> used.  I really want to divide the rest of my 40 Gig into (its partitioned
> into four partitions with partition Magic) three areas, windows, mandrake
> and suse and use the 10.4 gig as a backup.  Any help will be greatly
> appreciated.  thank you.

Well, I don't know what version you are using but I see a clue here.

WD drives and VIA KT133 chipset is a dynamite combination resulting in
massive data corruption and disk geometry misrecognition under 7.2,
especially at the higher IDE speeds.

8.0 Beta 3 is ALMOST free of those problems--I have seen problems with
certain DVDs on the same channel as hard drives and with WD and Maxtor on the
same channel--both cases of timing chatter destroying data.

Please please please in the future steer clear of WD drives.  They don't do
the required 57 byte CRC for ATA/66 and higher speeds, they just fake it by
storing the CRC on their oversized sectors, so you never know you had channel
noise til  you try to read the data.  Moreover, WD will tell you directly, if
you ask, that they support ONLY windows and Solaris.

For your situation now, you can probably use Beta3 or Release candiudate 1 of
Mandrake 8.0 with no problem.  Naturally, to get best use of the WD drives,
keep them on different IDE channels, and, once you are installed,

hdparm -u1 -c1 -d1 -m8 -a4 -X66 /dev/hdx

(where x is the letter for your HDD) just put those two lines in
/etc/rc.local.

will probably give you reliable performance.  It is very important to stay
OFF udma modes higher than 2 since the WD has no hardware support structure
for the data checking and correction.

Civileme