Just because I can't help myself, RTFM!

  OPTIONS
     -d, --directory
          Remove directories with `unlink'  instead  of  `rmdir',
          and don't require a directory to be empty before trying
          to unlink it.  Only works for the super-user.   Because
          unlinking  a  directory causes any files in the deleted
          directory to become unreferenced, it is  wise  to  fsck
          the filesystem after doing this.

     -f, --force
          Ignore nonexistent files and never prompt the user.

     -i, --interactive
          Prompt whether to remove each file.   If  the  response
          does not begin with `y' or `Y', the file is skipped.

     -r, -R, --recursive
          Remove the contents of directories recursively.

     -v, --verbose

All of which is located in the manpage, on your machine.

But I will add some remarks to what other people have said.   In your
.<shell>rc there are some "dummy aliases."  And there is one for rm
in there.  Of which most people think having, is a really good idea.

Even those that are extremely comfortable with command line operating
and would prefer to do work that way, leave that in there.  Because
you can type the correct command, but in the wrong directory.

For example, you want to delete your Netscape cache, so you type:

rm -R *

But if you're not in $HOME/.netscape, but you're in $HOME/ then you've
just created a really bad day for yourself if you haven't backed up your
system very recently!   So I would suggest leaving the alias in your
.<shell>rc file for safety, and those half asleep nights when you're
trying to do something before heading to bed.
tdh

T. Holmes
Unixtechs.org
[EMAIL PROTECTED]

"Real Men use Vi."

* Andrew Iovannisci <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> [010407 19:49]: