Thanks for the response!

[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
Not quite your problem I know, but what I found was
> that installation WAS complete but X server was not, I found this by
> re-booting which took me to a text login, I then ran Xconfigurator and was
> able to get the X server running properly and Beta 3 is now up and running .
> Hope this points you in the right direction.

I tried that and a few similar options.  You are correct that many
things are installed, but the X installation is apparently not complete
and I don't know how to complete it.  There was no XF86Config file.  I
created one using xf86config (because none of the X based utilities
would run).  But, even with the XF86Config file, X would not start.  I
can't remember the exact message when I tried startx, but my
interpretation was that there was something else missing.

Nevertheless, I will try this again in a few days.  (I don't want to
right now because I installed Mandrake 7.0 on the system and my son will
be using it for a few days.)

> I used "expert install" don't know if this is what allowed me to choose the
> Xfree version, have not tried the normal way.

I'm sorry I was not more clear here.  I also used expert install, and
got the chance to choose which Xfree version I wanted to use, but the
choices included only "XFree 3.3.6" and "XFree 3.3.6 with experimental
3D support", and not "XFree 4.0.3".  As I said in the previous post,
there is some confusion about whether the XFree 4.0.3 driver for SiS
supports the SiS 630 -- it seems the information on the XFree site
specifically mentions support of the SiS 630 for the 4.0.2 driver, but
does not mention the SiS 630 at all for the 4.0.3 driver.  Is that an
oversite or was the SiS 630 driver dropped in 4.0.3?  (I've written to
XFree.org about the problem.)

Randy Kramer