At 02:02 PM 04/14/2001 -0400, you wrote:
>Sorry to intrude, but I am struggling with the same problem even though I am
>on a standalone PC.
>
>> or if you want to add a different name not in DNS,
>>
>> 127.0.0.1 localhost.localdomain localhost
>> 127.0.0.1 whateveryouwant.net whateveryouwant
>
>I fell in this conversation late:
>
>Do you mean you can have "both"
>127.0.0.1 localhost.localdomain localhost   AND also
>127.0.0.1 whateveryouwant.net whateveryouwant ?
Yes, you can have both.  Typically this is something that you would not do,
especially on a corporate / university lan, where you would be better
advised to add a network card and get an IP / DNS combination from the IT
group.

>How is that possible and how do you do that?
edit /etc/hosts -- you can have multiple names pointing to the same IP (we
have something like 10).
Where do you tell Mandrake 7.2
>that your PC has 2 names?

See above.
>> 127.0.0.1 whateveryouwant.net whateveryouwant
>
>Can it be just 127.0.0.1 whateveryouwant   or do you need 2 names here?

You actually need both of the names.  This setup will also depend on
whether or not this is a computer connected to a larger network (corporate
or university).  If it is an internet accessible computer, then you cannot
use the internet top-level domains (such as .edu, .net, .com, etc).

>Also what do you mean by "loopback"?

Loopback (without going into too much detail) basically points to the same
unix machine that you are on.

For example, if I'm on wsdo, and type ssh localhost, it'll connect to wsdo
through the machine's internal loopback interface.  This is also explained
in much greater detail in the ethernet howto available from
http://www.linuxdoc.org .

Michael

--
Michael Viron
Chief Systems and Administration Consultant