Hello all,
I have just installed Mandrake 8 and have set up an SMB printer (the printer
is on a networked Windows 98 machine). The printer is an Epson Stylus Color
600. It is detected fine and I can send print jobs. However, I am facing 2
issues with it right now that I hope somebody can help me:

1) the printing comes out very jerkily. This is to say that the printer would
print 1-2 lines and then halt for a few seconds before printing another 1-2
lines and so on.  I am using the "CUPS+GIMP-print v4.1.5" driver with dither
set to "very fast" and resolution at 180 DPI.

This did not happen with Mandrake 7.2, nor with printing from windows (my PC
dual boots at times).

2)  The print output is simply sub-par even if I switch to 720dpi and toggle
between the different rendering options. It has been like this in Mandrake
7.2 but it irks me now as I'd hoped to print something other than "drafts"
from linux. Moreover, I'd also been convincing friends to give Mandrake 8 a
go. A problem like this would turn them away from linux most definitely. :(

I hope somebody can advise me here. Thanks in advance! :)