From: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Sent: Sunday, April 29, 2001 4:52 PM
Subject: [newbie] Link to directory

> I am trying to make a link to my windows desktop directory.  The command I
tried was

> "ln -d /mnt/(desktop directory)/ WinDesktop" but it said "cannot create
hard link: Invalid cross-device link."  Also, would it be possible to make
this link from the / directory?

What you need is a symbolic link, so try:

ln -s /mnt/{desktop directory} WinDesktop

The default way of making a link is a "hard-link" which makes a file entry
point to something on the same disk so it must be on the same device.

The symbollic link associates the file entry with some text: the path to
your file.  Because there's no i-node reference, it can point to anything on
your file system.