You might be using XFree86 3.3.x. XFree86 3.3.x does
not use /var/log/XFree86.***.log (or at least not on
LM7.2), which might be the reason why those files are
not there.

To find out which version of X you're running, try
two things:

a) "ls -al /etc/X11/X". /etc/X11/X is a symbolic link,
and if it's linked to XF86_SVGA, you're running
3.3.x (3.3.6 I think).

b) "startx 2> out". "2> out" will redirect the startup
messages of the X server to the file "out". The first
line of "out" should tell you the version of X.

- Steve