Not sure if anyone has explained the 'why' of this to you yet, so here
goes...

The -R (for 'recursive') option only works on directories, not files or
even file wildcards.

So, if you want to change the directory and all its files and subdirs and
subfiles et al, then use chmod -R 644 /backup/website, or whatever
directory you want to change. Just like the other replies I noticed.

Dave

On Thursday 03 May 2001 09:06, thus spake Adrian Smith: