Okay, again, I am in NT.  :(  I wish I had received
this message while I was still at home.  You need to
add the "user" parameter toward the end of the entry
in your /etc/fstab and you will have what you want.
It will mount the partitions upon bootup and it will
be accessible to normal users.  Because I am at work,
I cannot look at my fstab at home.  However, the
following entry should be able to be added to your
/etc/fstab without any problems.  If the syntax
happens to be wrong, it should be very close:

/dev/hda1 /mnt/windows vfat user 0 0