Did you do a new install and leave the /home intact?

I ran into that problem myself, but I'm not sure what else
caused this.

When you source your .bash_profile do you get any errors?  When
you source your .bashrc do you get any errors?

Does the .bash_profile appear to be missing anything?  Here's a copy
of one that I have working currently with no problem.  I have added
a few things to it, but nothing drastic.

[timh@yoda timh]$ cat .bash_profile
# .bash_profile

# Get the aliases and functions
if [ -f ~/.bashrc ]; then
        . ~/.bashrc
fi

# User specific environment and startup programs

PATH=$PATH:$HOME/bin
BASH_ENV=$HOME/.bashrc
USERNAME=`id -nu`
HISTIGNORE="[   ]*:&:bg:fg:w:who"
KRB5CCNAME=/home/timh/tmp/k5.ans.$USER

export USERNAME BASH_ENV PATH HISTIGNORE

The only thing I've changed/added would be the USERNAME, HISTIGNORE, and
KRB5CCNAME.  I put the USERNAME in there for scripts that I've written that
read that info.  I don't need to see w or who commands in my history since
I do use those a lot.  And the KRB5CCNAME is there for when I was trying
to get kerberos working in Mandrake.  Which as you can see it's exported
so I didn't get it working and gave up for now! lol

What'd suggest would be to copy another user's .bash_profile, AND .bashrc
to your directory.  Back yours up, by renaming it, and then copy in the
new rc and _profile.  IF that works, there must be something wrong with
the syntax, and something's not being sourced upon log in or opening of
another shell.

Hope that helps.
tdh

T. Holmes
Unixtechs.org
[EMAIL PROTECTED]

"Real Men use Vi."

* serafim <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> [010505 06:24]: