Hi all,

I just wanted to let you know what worked for me, in the hopes that it
might help you.

I am running Mandrake 7.2, with most/all available software updates, on an
IBM ThinkPad with the ESS Solo-1 sound card (snd-card-es1939 driver).

After doing a recent update of alsa and the kernel to 2.2.19, I suddenly
lost my sound. I was able to determine that the sound module was loading
correctly by checking /var/log/messages, and also by running lsmod to see
which modules were loaded. Everything was there, but I had no sound! At
one point, I saw that there were some items not configured (audio devices,
synth, mixer).

I was able to get everything configured and running by making sure I had
aumix installed, then running it as *root* (it won't run for a normal
user). I had to set the mixer settings to 100% for everything except the
microphone (which gave horrible feedback when I turned it up, so I left it
off). But everything else is at 100, and then I saved the config, and now
my sound works again.

There is apparently a bug in the alsa upgrade, which replaces the
/etc/.aumixrc (mixer settings) file, and the replacement contains all
zeros for volume controls. Also, with my particular sound card, even at
50% there was no sound! I had to turn it WAY up, to 100, just to be able
to hear things normally.

As always, YMMV, but hopefully this will help a few people.

Dave