Oh, I forget the exact steps, but basically right
click on the time and choose Edit Date and Time (or
something like that).  It will bring up a window.
There is a country selection that defaults to Africa
(I guess it's in alphabetical order?).  Change that to
US and it will be fine once you restart KDE.