On Thursday 10 May 2001 20:36, you wrote:
> on 5/10/01 6:04 PM, Mark Johnson at [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
> > Is there a way that I can configure linux (daemon) to retrieve mail
> > from for the all users on the machine from their ISP so that the just
> > have to point their email client to the linux box instead of the ISP.
>
> Set up a mail server like Postfix with Procmail
> http://postfix.org

That would be the first thing to do, It should be on the distro cds also.
You should install fetchmail next, also on the distro cd's

then have each user setup fetchmail,  you can use fetchmailconf for that,
which happens to be on the distro cds also

then run a script like this from cron to snag all usermail
#!/bin/bash
# usermail - bash script to snag mail for each
#                 user that has a .fetchmailrc file
#
# echo Starting mail download for all users
run=0
for i in `cat /etc/passwd |
          awk -F : '{ print $1 " " $6}'`; do
    if [ $run -eq 0 ]
    then
      name=$i
      run=1
    else
      home=$i
      run=0
      if [ -r $home/.fetchmailrc ]
      then
         echo getting mail for $name
         su -l -c "/usr/bin/fetchmail -s -t 500" $name
      fi
   fi
done

--
Alex
Kernel Panic is General Failure's second in command