Franki,

this might sound like a stupid question, but i've found in the past i've
had to ask myself the same question. are you "sure" the package
openssh-server is installed? I've had the same situation a few times and
almost each time when I "thought" that the server installed it was only
the openssh-client that got installed. Which would give exactly the same
error that you're recieving now.

Also, you will want to check your /etc/hosts.deny file to make sure that
you don't have a line in there that looks like this:

        ALL:ALL EXCEPT localhost:DENY

If that line is present then comment it out and you may find that
connection is then possible.

Mark