Mike,

Even though it's not a Mandrake box still the all the log files should be
kept under /var/log. you may want to pay specific attention to the kernel
info and warning log files.

--

Mark
*****

"what knowledge I have managed to accumlate over the years
at times becomes obscured and even hidden amidst the vast
emotional onslaught of my children. You never finish being a parent.  :)"