Hi there,

a few weeks back I installed Mandrake 8.0 (fresh, clean install). Some
days later I installed StarOffice 5.2 (from sun.com) and found it to be
unusable.
Here are the symptoms:
Any text I enter or any text in opened documents doesn't display
correctly. The letters themselves are overlapping, everything is
crunched horizontally. Changing fonts does not help. Changing the paper
size does not help. In fact, a normal "letter" size document is only 8
inches wide (that's what the horizontal ruler of SO says), not 11 inches
(as the paper settings say). And changing the paper settings or font
size does not make things better since the letters are still overlapping
then.

- Star Office did work perfectly on my system under 7.1
- problem appears in GNOME as well as KDE
- problems also occur in recent versions of OpenOffice
- other word processors don't seem to have any problems
- changing the printer driver/settings did do nothing
- changing the X version did not do anything either
- changing the Screen Resolution did not help (btw, my graphics card is
a ATI Rage 128 AGP)
- a completely new install of MDK8.0 and SO5.2 did not help me
- but still I couldn't find anyone online who had the same problems

Help me! What could be causing these strange behaviors of SO? I will
have to write lots of papers during the next few weeks..

Thanks in advance for your help!

Daniel