I've had exactly the same problems (LM 8.0 GPL distro from Cheap Bytes),
except I can't even do a successful direct 'rpm' from the console unless
I've just rebuilt the database. What I ended up doing last night is use
the disks to do an 'update' installation, selecting, at the 'individual
package' level, a few things that hadn't been installed on my initial
complete installation. Seemed to work fine.

Terry Smith (the other Terry:-)
Woods Hole, MA