Winzip can open tar files, so tar it first....

Here is the syntax to copy a directory to a tar file..

tar -cvvf somedir.tar somedir/

where somedir.tar is the name of the file it will create and somedir/ is the
name of the directory...

doing it to a file is pretty much the same thing,, try: man tar
to see more details...

winzip will open the tar file,, I do it all the time..

regards

Frank