OK, I'm convinced there is something seriously wrong with the XFree86
setup/server in 8.0.   Some may recall when I tried to use 8.0 on my spouse's
amd k6-2 450 last week and couldn't get it to use 4.0.3, so no 3d
acceleration or aa fonts, etc.....   I was lucky enough that it at least
installed on one of mine with a voodoo3 which uses a pentium, tho the
acceleration leaves alot to be desired.  So I wondered if the amd use is
related....

However, an experiment tonight blew that theory out of the water and leads me
to the problem at hand:

I installed 8.0 on a celeron 433, 128 ram and voodoo3 2000 tonight.  I wasn't
given a choice of versions concerning XFree86 and it installed 3.3.6.  Why do
you suppose I can use 4.0.3 on one machine and not another using the same
exact video card?  Now I didn't try to force it to use 4.0.3 cause I went
that route with the amd last week and couldn't boot into X.

so what gives?  I used 4.0.1 & 2 with 7.2 and had good game play on this very
same machine.

Any help for my poor little celeron or amd machines?  (Man I knew I should've
gotten a TNT!)

-s