> I used to use Novell Netware and I could used to be able to merge two disk
> volumes (disk partions±) together, to create a large volume (i.e. 10gb on
> HD1 + 20Gb on HD2) could give me a 30Gb volume.

I am not sure if you can *physically* merge the two partitions into one
physical volume. But you may not need to do this.

The Unix (linux too) file system allows you to physically mount separate
drives / partitions underneath a tree, and the result is that all the
files on those partitions appear beneath the directory you mounted the
partitions on (the mount point).

For instance, the root of all filesystems is '/' in a Unix system. Under-
neath that, you might have /usr, /home, /var, /tmp, etc. These directories
could either be hosted on one large partition, or be spread over several
smaller partitions. Suppose you put /home on a separate partition - then when
you mounted that disk on /home, you'd just be attaching its files to the main
directory tree at '/'. Someone going into /home/dfox/whatever/junk/ would be
actually getting files from another disk & partition.

> Is it possible to do the same with Linux? What I mean I create a directory
> called /work and then I mount two 40gb discs in this partition to give me

If you separated the two logically, you could have

   /work/disk1

and

   /work/disk2

both on the filesystem. Each disk would be mounted on either disk1 or disk
2. Unfortunately, you can't mount both filesystems on one mount point.

Through some creative (and perhaps complex) mapping schemes (done with
symbolic links) you can make it *appear* that both filesystems are mapped
to various entries in /work transparently, and make it look like you have
one large area when in reality, you have two (or more) smaller and physically
separate areas underneath /work. How you organize that is very dependent on
how your data is stored. For example, if you organized your data based on
months, you could have January through June on one disk, and July through
December on the second.

> Also, how can I turn a directory / file stucture into an ISO image.

Well, are you referring to burning an ISO image through cdrecord or some
other tool?

> Also, is it possible to mount to ISO images in the same directory. For
> example I create the directory /Mandrake and the I mount the two ISO images
> for LM8 in the SAME directory?

Not at the same mount point. But I'm not sure why you'd need to do this.
The best I think you could do is to 'loopback mount' the two ISO images
underneath separate directories underneath Mandrake, for instance
Mandrake/image1 and Mandrake/image2.