There's something else you're going to want to look for, or your webadmin will NOT
allow you access to
the interface.

As ROOT, edit the file /etc/webmin/miniserv.conf

I believe it's line 11, that by default reads:

ssl=1

Unless you have ssl configured and the cert created, you will not be able to gain
access to the webmin.
If you change that line to read:

ssl=0

You will be able to get by using http://hostname:10000.

Once you've gotten that far, keep in mind that webmin will ONLY recogize the root
user, and the root
passwd specified at install.  If you have since changed the root passwd, the new
passwd will not work.
So I hope you either remember the original root passwd, or haven't changed it.

As far as ssh goes.  Stick with it!  It's more secure then telnet unless you're using
another kind of
telnet.  I know FreeBSD comes with a secure telnet that uses SRA secure login.

[timh@yoda timh]$ telnet ic.net
Trying 152.160.8.96...
Connected to ic.net.
Escape character is '^]'.
Trying SRA secure login:

Personally I am fortunate enough that if I'm some where with an Internet connection, I
can get into my
box.  But I have access to a server that does support telnet, against my better
judgement.  From which I
then ssh to my machine at home.  Or I'm at work where we use secure connections for
everything, or at a
partner's house who's machines are set up very similarly to mine.

Once you have the webmin set up, you can use the ssh function that comes with it.  As
long as the browser
supports java, you're good to go.

If you insist upon going away from ssh, then verify if telnet is installed.  Use this
command to find out
if telnet, and telnet server are installed.

[root@r2d2 /root]# rpm -qa | grep telnet
gnome-telnet-2.4-2mdk
ktelnet-0.7b1-7mdk
telnet-0.17-7mdk

As you can see there is not telnet-server on my machine.  I forbid access to my
machine via telnet.
tdh

T. Holmes
UNIXTECHS.org