Problem trying to install the download edition of Linux Mandrake 8.0
obtained from Linux Magazine.  The installer instructed me to report
the failure as a bug and attach the error messages.  There was no
indication in the magazine or on the cover disk as to where the report
should be sent, so I tried support - no response, as expected.  I
wished to assess version 8.0 before buying the boxed set, deluxe or
powerpack or whatever.  I shall be buying it anyway for my newer
machine but need it to run on the older PC, which will be exposed to
Windows users at some time.  Need to give a good impression.

System
  AMD K6 450MHz
  Matshita 4X CD-ROM drive
  4 Gb SCSI disk
  Adaptec AHA-2940 SCSI adapter

This is an old system (1996) with a new motherboard, processor and
video card which has been running RedHat successfully for years and
Mandrake 7.2 just lately.  The initial attempt to use cdrom.img failed
with a message like "the cdrom does not appear to be a Mandrake
installation disk".

The installer recognises the card:

  * PCI: device 9004 7178 is "AdaptecAHA-294x / AIC-7871" (aic7xxx)

but fails to find the driver

  * file-not-found-in-archive aic7xxx.o
  * warning, insmod failed (aic7xxx (null)) (-2)

So, can anybody tell me, is this simply an oversight on the part of
Mandrake or have they dropped support for this adapter?

--
Len Lawrence @ The Thistle Foundation