Ok, it's time for me to finally buy a new camera, and it's going to be
digital this time.  My top pick right now is the Cannon Elph Powershot
300.  Like most digital cameras these days, it comes with a USB port
instead of a serial port.

Well, I've never used a USB port for anything under any OS, so what
I'm wondering is, if I get this camera, will I be able to get it to
work with Linux?  Will I be able to download photos?  I searched
around on Google and I couldn't find anything about this, and of
course the guys at Cannon assume that everyone uses Windows or
Macintosh.

The reason why this is so important to me is because I literally don't
have access to anything which doesn't run Linux or *BSD.  If it
doesn't work with Linux, I basically can't use it.

Thanks for any tips.