Mandrake sees the mouse as a PS/2 mouse.  It doesn't matter if you have a PS/2 mouse
and
you connected it to your machine via a serial adapter, it's how it actually connects
to the
machine that it cares about.  So if the PS/2 connection is how it gets to your machine,
that's what kind of mouse it is.

There's a possiblity that your machine doesn't "support" USB in it's current
configuration,
or you have USB disabled via the Motherboard BIOS.  One way you can check is to check
these
files.

[timh@r2d2 bin]$ cat /etc/modules.conf

pre-install pcmcia_core CARDMGR_OPTS=-f /etc/rc.d/init.d/pcmcia start
alias usb-interface usb-uhci
alias eth0 3c59x
alias sound-slot-0 es1371

[timh@r2d2 bin]$ cat /proc/interrupts
           CPU0
  0:   36280078          XT-PIC  timer
  1:      37744          XT-PIC  keyboard
  2:          0          XT-PIC  cascade
  3:    1807191          XT-PIC  usb-uhci, usb-uhci, eth0
  4:      85287          XT-PIC  es1371
 10:   19361068          XT-PIC  ide2
 12:     377566          XT-PIC  PS/2 Mouse
 14:        476          XT-PIC  ide0
NMI:          0
LOC:          0
ERR:          0

The lines you'd be looking for are:

alias usb-interface usb-uhci

And:

  3:    1807191          XT-PIC  usb-uhci, usb-uhci, eth0

If you see something in those that mentions USB, then it's recognized and should work.
 If
it's disabled, then I don't believe it will even send power down the USB cable to the
device.
tdh

--
T. Holmes