The case that one caaaanot enter something with the keyboard is a known
problem of the Mandrake Control Center. It happens to me, too, but only
sometimes. If you close the Control Center or printerdrake and open it
again, it should normally work.

But as mentioned there are better alternatives for printerdrake: "kups"
is the most sophisticated printer admin program, and there is also a web
interface (http://localhost:631/). They both have more functionality
than printerdrake.

"pup" does not add CUPS queues, PUP is a program to adjust the default
settings of laser printers and also gives some maintanance options for
Lexmark inkjets. It is independent of CUPS or LPD. You start it logged
in as "root" and it sends its commands directly to the printer port.
Therefore it works only with local printers.

    Till