Hello friends,

PLEASE DON'T MIND IF THE MAIL IS TOO LONG. PLEASE HELP ME TO SOLVE THE
PROBLEM

 My OPTi sound card is not properly supported on Mandrake. Every time I
boot I have to run sndconfig to configure the card. While the
configuration is being done the first sound sample where Linux prounces
Linux is not also completly heard. I can just hear HELLO and nothing
else. After it configures when I take a look at the /etc/modules.conf it
would have taken wrong values for dma16 and also for mpu_irq but still I
can get the sound. Sometimes the configuration fails and prompts for
manual configuration. In manual configuraton even though I give correct
values for the parameters it fails to configure the card. And  if the
configuration is done successfully and if I reboot the machine it gives
an error during "Loding sound module" saying that mad16.o.gz cannot be
loaded and the reson for that may be incorrect values of irq or dma. If
I see the message that the kernel has generated using dmesg it says
irq=5 not found which is detected by sndconfig.

 I had this problem of unsuccessful loading of module even in Mandrake
7.2 but eventhough it did not load the module I was getting the sound.

 Going through harddrake also did not help but insted the machine got
hung.

 Please help me

 Thanks in advance
 Suresh.R